Wednesday, March 3, 2010

More Skiing?

There seems to be a trend of putting two weekends together. I would like you to think it's because I'm working so hard. But the pictures will definitely give that away and you'll realize that it is only because ski lifts and snow drifts are not conducive to blogging. Frankly, nothing is really conducive to blogging since it requires being inside. However, so you know I'm still alive - here are two more weekends of skiing! (Disclaimer: In the meantime, the blogspot format has changed, so you'll have to let me know if there are any major formatting problems.)
After completing numerous hikes in the Adirondacks, I've become accustomed to well marked trails. In Idaho, most trails are not marked, and if they are, the low level markers are typically covered by a few feet of snow. While I always try to plan my route and take predicted paths, the adventure often lies in the unknown. But what about life? Ever felt like you're being pulled in opposite directions all at once? Ever been at a fork in the road but have no idea which way to go?Well don't forget about the One who knows what lies ahead on each path. While it is nice to have well laid out plans at each junction, we must be certain to seek God's will lest... ...we choose the wrong path and end up in a tree! I wish I could tell you the path was steep and windy, but alas, it wasn't.After rising early, we were able to complete a beautiful few hours of cross country skiing at yet another new location before the sun warmed up the snow. Any spectacular views were probably hidden by the clouds, but here you can get a glimpse of the forests we travelled.On our way back, we passed the annual Ashton dog sled race!I'd like to assume this dog was posing for me and not licking his chops cause I looked like dinner!I love how the snow has accumulated along this river.Same shot in color.Anybody want to break off an iceberg and ride it down the river?Since one adventure never seems to be enough for one day, we headed to Wolverine Canyon for my first ever attempt at real rock climbing. (The rock climbing wall in the gym doesn't count.)Pictures have a way of distorting the fact that there are 75 feet of thin air behind her...
...so maybe this picture will help.Here you can see Alysia heading down (the fun part).Shayna bounces down along with all the gear for going back up.
Looks like it will be another beautiful sunset...
...if you can get around the weeds.One last look at the wall before attempting to go back up.
Smiling as I start out on my first attempt.Longer legs and arms definitely would have helped avoid......falling. As fun as it looks, the expression on my face probably gives away how comfortable it is to hang from a harness.Alysia hangs out while I try again.Meanwhile, Shayna pulls out some funky leg moves and climbs to the top. But that was all for one weekend.The last few weeks have brought warmer weather, which is good if you're not trying to go cross country skiing. But with my time out West winding down, there's no time to let nagging colds or warm spells slow me down. So, we headed to the higher elevations around Yellowstone for some new cross country skiing trails.I'm not sure the sign was warranted for a cross country ski trail......as long as you didn't hang out behind the biathlon hill.Naturally, we had to get some headstands in before calling it a day.The next day, we headed back to Grand Targhee. Although there wasn't nearly as much powder as previous trips, we were privileged to get a few glimpses of the Tetons through out the day.Here you can see the clouds just starting to cover the peaks......before the sun fought them back.After another fun day of skiing, we headed back to town for the Idaho Falls Symphony Chamber Concert featuring three of the Symphony chamber groups. If I ever master the baritone, I'm thinking that big ole' tuba is next. The question is, would I carry it, or would it carry me? While you're pondering that one... I better get going on the next post so I don't get so far behind! Of course, it'll probably just include more skiing, but you'll just have to check back to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment