Friday, January 16, 2009

Encouraging Tidbits

I found two Bible verses particularly encouraging this week. In John 14:18, Jesus tells His disciples that "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." and in John 15:16, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you..."

Whether you believe the Bible or not, history tells us that Jesus was a man, living on the earth. Although his disciples had not grasped it, Jesus would be killed and resurrected by the end of the week. Soon after, He would ascend to Heaven and no longer be there as a crutch for the disciples. But He left us a Comforter, the Holy Spirit to encourage, counsel and guide us daily as disciples. If we're fearful or discouraged, we're just a prayer away from Comfort!

Now as Christians, we refer to our choice to follow Christ (which is necessary). However, before we ever chose to follow Him, He created and chose us (me and you) to be followers! Congrats - YOU are a chosen one! Now have you chosen to follow Him? What are you waiting for? :)

1 comment:

  1. Mid-January 2009 presented me with one of the most difficult trials I'd ever faced. My faith was being tested and I wondered if I could hold on to the delicate string which seemed to be holding me. It was then that God gave me John 15:16, "Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you..." I still get chills, my eyes well up with tears, even now, while at work; when I think of God's perfect timing, His perfect love and His perfect understanding of my frailty.

    Meanwhile, John 14:18 was a promise God had given to a dear friend of mine, regarding me. He followed through, through the dark time, He DID NOT leave me comfortless. Oh how precious are God's promises and greater is His fulfillment of those promises.

    How unworthy to be sustained by the loving hands of our Almighty God! Praise His Name Alone!

    You have blessed me with your words!

    ReplyDelete