Sunday, April 12, 2009

He Is Risen Indeed!

The greatest story of love is summed up by the days we have celebrated this weekend! As Paul said in Romans 8:31-39, "If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

The question is, have we accepted this gift of love and reciprocated our love for Him? Can we sing the words penned by Margaret Harris with total agreement:

When I saw the cleansing fountain
Open wide for all my sin,
I obeyed the Spirit's wooing
When He said, "Wilt thou be clean?"

Tho' the way seem'd straight and narrow,
All I claimed was swept away;
My ambitions, plans, and wishes
At my feet in ashes lay,

Blessed be the name of Jesus!
I'm so glad He took me in.
He's forgiven my transgressions;
He has cleansed my heart from sin.

Well, that's all for today's sermon. I know, I know - you stopped by to see pictures, but I can't help but express some of the thoughts from the past week as God continues to answer prayers, be a friend and allow me to know Him just a little better. So anyways, some of you noticed there was no blog last week. But, I don't think my friend would have appreciated my painting help if I was doing it on my hands while trying to take a picture. So, there were no pictures to post. Besides, that baritone playing should have been enough humor for 2 weeks! Don't worry, this week will make up for it - nothing spectacular, just a weekend of adventure...

But first, I must show a few before and after pictures of my sister's house:
The exterior
The work begins Christmas Day... that ceiling's gotta go...
This one too...
Yup, carpet, fake brick... it's gotta go.
You think this is gross... you should have seen how dirty they were before they got in it!
Has anyone seen the fake brick?
Check out those floors!
Not quite done here, but a vast improvement!
The kitchen and all moved in!
A hip new table and chairs, sitting on a new tile job!
Who let Homer (the Bills hat) in? Next job - changing the locks!
There she is... one of my three beautiful sisters in her lovely new home! This house has truly been an answer to many prayers and a blessing already!
But one last question, how does Faith get her name on the wall and not me? (I may have flown under the disguise of "Hope" in pre-9/11 days, but that doesn't make it my name!)
Massacre Rocks State Park. I was hoping for some nice trails to explore considering the park gets it's own exit off the interstate. But no, definitely a dud.
Not too far away was "Register Rock", a stop on the Oregon Trail. These names and dates are authentic!
Here is a carving of a preacher and an Indian by the 7 year old J.J. Hanson in 1866. He returned in 1908 and redated his carving.
Alleged wagon ruts from the Oregon trail...
...but to me, it looked much more like a dirt bike path! (Don't wagons have 4 wheels?)
I'll admit that I didn't read the sign... just looked like a good spot for a handstand! Is he cross-eyed too?
Looking down the serenely beautiful snake river. Fishing anyone?
When out West, do as the Westerners do. I must have stuck out in my sneakers, non-wrangler jeans and lack of a cowboy hat or belt buckle at the rodeo. As you can tell from this picture, they start them out young!
Riding the horses before the rodeo.
Clowning around.
That's going to be a penalty as the cowgirl races around the barrel.
There's the bucking bronco. Has anyone seen the cowboy?
Most of my rodeo pictures are a little blurry, but this cowboy is showing some good form.
After doing the spin move, this bull heads back towards the chute.
Ouch - the second spin proved more troublesome!
The bull looked straight at me and said, "Picture this!". So I did.
Getting out of the way is key after you get knocked off.
This guy's job can't pay enough!
I don't think this guy was going to the rodeo, although it was rather appropriate for Easter weekend. Can you name the car brand?
Like airplanes, some pictures I just can't resist posting. Maybe someday... Saturday brought a new day and a new need for adventure. So, I headed out for a hike. I never did find the trail I was planning to hike, and I'm not sure I was ever on a trail, but going along North Pine Creek was just as good. This picture is taken from the top of a little peak where I had lunch, and it looks back on the canyon trail that I just traversed.
I need an encyclopedia, and I certainly didn't find any stocks in the center of my driveway.
Spotting a sign on the other side of the creek, I figured I better check it out if I had any hope of knowing where I had been or where I was going. The only problem... the creek. Now, I was in snowshoes, and there was at least 3 feet of snow, if not 5 or 6. With no bridge, downed trees or rocks close enough to jump across, I decided that jumping, in snowshoes, was my only option. I picked out a spot that was fairly narrow, and a little downhill so I had a better chance. Then I patted down the takeoff zone, making sure the bank wouldn't collapse into the creek as I made my leap. After a couple of practice run + jumps on the flat ground, and determining the left foot was definitely the better jumper, I went for it. On the right is my take-off print, and I landed on the left. Now, I was lucky to make the leap going downhill... how would I ever get back? Don't ask silly questions... that would be for figuring out later. As for now, Joe 1, Creek 0.
The top of the little peak I found had views of the mountains all the way around. I'd show you the 360 degree view, but you're probably bored already.
Here's another one anyways.
Can you straighten out that leg a little?
Alas, I was on my way back, racing a coming storm while apparently still getting sunburned from the other direction. But the creek... how would I cross the creek? First, I tried walking along the bank. But remember that this is a canyon with nearly vertical walls in spots, and the water runs right up along the edge. Rather then risk starting an avalanche, I decided this would be the place to cross. It was only about 15 feet across, but the water was rushing pretty good and the rocks were not nearly close enough to leap across, especially in snow shoes! Taking them off wouldn't work because there was a 3 foot bank of snow I had to get up on the other side. Ah, I spotted a small downed tree. A bridge - that's what I would do.
After sliding the main trunk of the tree down the steep embankment, well, you can see how it landed in the water - that won't help.
Step 1 complete - laying the next section of tree across the creek.
Step 2 complete - laying another branch across while keeping the feet dry. Unfortunately, the rest of my bridge making materials were all buried under the snow. So then I started throwing rocks to try and lay a foundation under the branches. But I was quickly out of moveable rocks, so it was time to try the bridge! My thought was to span the two branches with my snowshoes, hoping it would keep my waterproof boots above most of the water.
Which was a good plan, until one of the branches broke!
Hmmm, this picture doesn't do 8 inches of ice cold water justice, especially when both feet were in, and that hole in the top of my boots (the same one I put my foot in)... Joe 1, Creek 1. Once again, ever thankful for the wonderful collection of warm socks in my car!
If only I had traversed around the bend, this bridge was already made, but where is the adventure in that?
I can see the real estate ad - "Great view on all sides, little drafty."
Here you can see the storm I was trying to outrun, and thought the old barn was a cool touch. Until next time... enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Joe,
    Nice post - you've been busy! Skiiing, rodeo, pirating other people's slideshow onto your blog, handstands, snow shoeing AND bridge building. Folks, all this AND he plays the euphonium. Unbelievable. Joe, we love reading your blog - keep it up. And by "we" I mean me & all the other lurkers out there. Hey, lurkers....(yes, you)...post the poor guy a comment.
    Faith Anonymous Avery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe, Faith shared your blog. Looks like you're having fun. Hope all is well. Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your post once again!
    It looks like you are having toooo much fun!!
    Ha Ha!

    Keep Posting!!
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete