Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spring Skiing and a Euphonium?

Grand Targhee ski resort received 40 inches of snow this week. Thinking it might be my last chance out, I headed there on Friday. While the fresh powder had hardened up over night, it still made for some great runs and I was able to plow through a couple of untouched powder areas. (They received another foot of snow today, so there might be more skiing left!)
This picture of the Teton's was taken on the way. Notice the clouds rolling of "The Grand" in the middle.
Here are the same peaks sticking out of the clouds from the top of Grand Targhee.
Looking to the peak of Mary's.
Saturday night I enjoyed the Idaho Falls Symphony's "Wild, Wild West" concert complete with a cowboy and the William Tell Overture. The second half was the Grand Canyon Suite complimented by some awesome videos and pictures from the Grand Canyon to match the music.

Some of you know that I picked up a used baritone prior to moving to Idaho. While I played trombone through high school, I've always enjoyed the sound of a good baritone. In school, practicing was always a chore, but now I actually look forward to it most evenings as I play through a hymnal and a few other song books. Of course, playing a big loud instrument also provides a little stress relief and drowns out the quietness (just ask the neighbors). So, for those who still don't believe me...
The 1969 Conn Constellation baritone (think mini-tuba). It has a compensating 4th valve providing a larger range (a bellowing bass for knocking the cobwebs down).








Before you listen to the video, here's a few disclaimer's.
1) My recording studio (three pillows encasing my laptop with my trusty camera precariously perched behind a book) does not have a monitor. Therefore, I can only hear the accompaniment during rests, so yes, the timing is off in some places. (The pillows are blocking and dampening the baritone so you can actually hear the accompanist.)
2) Remember that I enjoy the sound of a good baritone - I didn't say anything about making a good sound:)
3) If you're still wondering what a euphonium is, it is the proper term for this baritone.
4) Nope, I can't do a handstand and play at the same time!
5) For more songs and better timing, you'll just have to come visit!

2 comments:

  1. Joe,
    That was amazing. I'm forwarding this immediately to both Wanda & Charlene. You are on the special song list for March 2, 2010.
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats pretty cool. I play in a few German style bass bands in Clev,Oh. I found your site as I was looking to buy a horn like yours. I played the horn last night for the second time. Very nice insturment. The dealer wants $900.00. I still do not know the value of the Conn Constellation.

    ReplyDelete