Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Road Less Traveled

The Sunday School teacher was explaining the story of Lot (Genesis 19), and as Lot and his family left the city, his wife looked back and turned into a pillar of salt. Then one little girl piped up, one time my Mommy looked back and she turned into a telephone pole! (Some of you will get it, some of you won't.) But enough of the funnies...

"Have you been to Stanley?" they would ask. No, not yet. "Are the roads even open in the winter?" I would reply. "Well, probably not, but you HAVE to visit Stanley!" they would say. "It is the most beautiful place. We honeymooned there!"

So, to Stanley I went. 750 miles and 630 pictures later, minus the ones where the windshield needed washing or the bumps were a bit too much, factor in the time to download, and we're down to 43 pictures posted for your viewing pleasure.

But first, I must commend my brother-in-law, the Honorable Judge Avery, for proudly wearing a beautiful...
...wig. The spec's are a nice touch as well. Visit here for the rest: http://phcofny.homestead.com/files/schdy/CZ_Youth_Rally_31309/index.htm

Below is a map of my weekend journey through the desolate, beautiful back country of Idaho. Starting from Idaho Falls, I headed up to Challis, over to Stanley, down through Sun Valley, over to Mountain Home and up to Boise for a Revival service. After staying near Boise for the night, getting some home cooked biscuits and gravy (they didn't even know it was my favorite), I headed back towards Idaho City, Stanley, Challis and back home. I'll let the pictures tell the rest...

The sail of USS Hawkbill (SSN-666), installed in July 2003 to "show their support for the armed forces", adorns the corner of Arco. Of all the submarine sails to choose from... why this one? (After some brief research, I found no connection between Arco and this submarine.)
The view traveling towards Challis
Entering a fun canyon course
Sunbeam Hot Springs (I only got my fingers wet.)
View of the Sawtooth Mountains, err... a birch tree, as you pull out of the mountain pass into Stanley.
This picture is more for the helicopter...
Majestic Mountains!
I only know One Person who can get credit for this beauty!


Heading towards Idaho City from Boise
Makes for a fun road to drive as you climb into the mountains
Looking left...
Looking right...
Is that because of the 100 foot cliff or because you can't jump out far enough to hit the water?
Welcome to Lowman, where there are more saloon's then stoplights (0) the roads are dirt and everything is wooden
I think this town is stuck in the 1800's
...the reason I didn't go from Stanley to Lowman on Friday. Luckily, the road opened back up on Saturday.
There are signs like this in NY, but do you pay any attention to them?
This is just one example, and the reason for...
...these guys. They were cruising the roads all day, plowing rocks.
A random geyser in the middle of a hill
My plan was to go cross-country skiing first. But, rather then do that, I decided to relax at Kirkham Hot Springs!
I spent about 2 hours sittin' here (in the water). Sorry no handstands... that's just dangerous!
More mountain passes with beautiful views
Entering the avalanche zone

The reason the road was closed the day before
Don't ask how I got this picture
Entering Stanley from the west
There it is! Remind me to face the camera next time.
Yes, Stanley is beautiful.
Couldn't decide which one I liked better
Finally some wildlife (elk)... or was it there the whole time and I just didn't see it?
"You lookin' at me?"
Tap dancing on Highway 93
Oh dear!
Yes, a bald eagle!!!!
Freedom's never free
I was afraid I had scared him away. Turns out he had other interests...
Beautiful scenery in the middle of nowhere
I had my eyes peeled here, even slowed down... but no luck
I found it!
My favorite picture of the weekend, with the sun tempting to set over the mountains as I head back into the high desert for the rest of the trip home.
...the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment