Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring's Ahead?

As I scoured the local visitor's guides and things-to-do-in-Idaho-besides-grow-potatoes-and-attend-rodeos websites, I came across the locals favorite cross country ski trails in Harriman State Park. With trail names like Coronary Bypass and Heart Attack Hill and trail descriptions like "...steep hills, sharp corners and many obstacles. You need to be quick on your feet to round a corner and avoid hitting trees... should not be attempted by the novice skier... very steep with hairpin turns, an extreme workout on the way up, and a nerve racking ride down avoiding the many trees. This trail is best for the snowshoer...", I couldn't resist seeing what the hype was all about. Of course, it also promised views of the Teton's, but they didn't account for the snow clouds. So, I loaded up and headed out Saturday morning and here's what I saw:
The sun rise and snow clouds were competing for a view of the Teton's in the distance. Right now it's an even split.
While serene, the problem with making first tracks, is, well, you're making the first tracks. About half way around, I met a gentlemen and we exclaimed how excited we were to see each other, knowing we wouldn't have to make first tracks anymore!
I think my 53" pole is touching the ground... now that's a lot of snow! Fences were completely buried and you had to look down to find the trail markers.
"When through the woods, and forest glades I wander... How Great Thou Art!"
Just how do they stay warm?
Looking at this makes my neck hurt.

Swan Dance (a little choppy to improved download time)
It's a bridge. (Who comes up with these captions anyways?)
Reflective ripplings (alliteration at it's finest)
From cat tails to pine forests
It's a yurt! (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yurt)
.... but the door was locked, so no peaking inside.
Heart Attack Hill
North Menan Butte
I hiked around this butte in November and stopped by to see if you could XC ski into the crater in the middle. However, the first requirement is snow...
...so instead I took pictures.
There it is!
Sitting amongst million dollar homes, this reminded me of all the vehicles I suggested while car shopping for my sister. A new set of tires and she should be good to go! Air conditioning is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment