Sunday, May 17, 2009

More Roads Less Traveled

"Attention. May I have your attention. NRF is currently experiencing windy conditions with sustained winds over 50 mph and..." "The Idaho Department of Transportation has closed Rt 33 North to Mud Lake due to high winds and low visibility..." Welcome to Idaho and hang on (as I plug in my headphones, put my head back, close my eyes and let the bus rock me to sleep as the bus driver navigates the tumbleweed, sage brush and sand). Of course, with temperatures flirting with 90 degrees, who's going to complain about the wind that blew it in!

Saturday was a beautiful day as I geared up for an upcoming road trip and took a quick hike into Packsaddle Lake. Having never been there, I wasn't sure what to expect, but here's what I found:
About a mile short of where I thought the trail head might be, I came upon this little creek crossing the road. It seems benign, I know. But after getting out to check, it was about 2 feet deep. Not willing to risk getting stuck on this desolate back country road (I think you at least need a road name before calling AAA), I tried building a dam out of boulders. Unfortunately, it only made the creek wider and no less deep. So, I parked the car and strapped on my shoes. Keep in mind - I'm still not sure I'm even on the right road.
Alas, after a thirty minute walk down this road, I came upon the trail head. I can't complain too much as there was an inspiring view of the Teton Mountain range the whole way.

On my way up the trail, I passed two guys who inquired if there was a lake. I told them that's where I was headed to which they exclaimed, "We hiked like 10 miles and never found anything." Of course, having never been there, I wasn't much help. About a half hour later I passed another couple who exclaimed, "We wanted to hike to the lake, but there were trails all over and we didn't know which one to take, and never did find the lake!" Well, that didn't leave me much hope, but I figured it was worth a try. So I kept plodding on - mind you there was still 2 - 4 feet of snow on the trail! (Does it ever melt?!?)

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves (or snow) no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference
- Robert Frost

The "yellow wood"
Where two "roads" diverged, I took the road less traveled by.
Down in the valley is the lake we were all hoping for. I only wish I could let the others know how close they were to their goal (~15 minutes). So by myself, I headed down to what appears to be a popular summer swimming hole...
...or maybe just an August swimming hole...
...complete with a diving board...
...and rope swing!
And no, I couldn't resist. But this is as close as I'll get to upside down!
Log jam at the outlet. It also sounded like there was a great waterfall, but it was completely covered in snow!
Besides missing their goal, the others also missed these beautiful views of the Teton's!
Awe inspiring.
On my way back, I stopped at the former Teton Flood Dam. The great pyramid in the middle used to span the entire Snake River and hold back a reservoir on the top (right) side. However, shortly after construction completed in June 1976, a small leak turned into a breach in the wall, taking out the left side between the left canyon wall and the top of the pyramid. The flood waters raced through the Snake River valley (including Idaho falls) and was finally stopped by the American Falls Dam. The right side of the pyramid was blasted away by engineers studying the makeup of the wall after the flood.
The river as it flows downstream.

That's all for today's history lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment