Sunday, May 3, 2009

Yellowstone in the Spring

There's Something About That Name!
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
There's just something about that name!
Master, Savior, Jesus
Like the fragrance after the rain.
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
Let all Heaven and Earth proclaim!
Kings and kingdoms
Will all pass away,
But there's something about that name.
- (c) William J. Gaither


As I've gone through this week, even while enjoying my fried ice cream, that song has permeated my thoughts. No matter what our trials, troubles or cares that we carry - Jesus, Jesus, Jesus...

Contrary to popular studies, if you wake up feeling refreshed, you probably overslept! But can waking up at 5:11AM really qualify as oversleeping? I'll let you ponder that one while I make a mad dash for the bus...

Despite the cloudy skies this weekend, my co-worker Eric and I took a trip to Yellowstone. Not all of the roads are open yet, but we still managed to see a number of fun things. Maybe these pictures will help (Eric gets credit for many of the pictures).

I wonder what they used before we built them roads!
Similar to a drowned rat... a drowned buffalo. Would you like to pet him? You'll notice that the buffalo and elk are rather ugly this time of year as they shed their winter coats.
Don't worry - I offered an Aspirin after they got done tussling.
At least he's not jaywalking!
Not looking so pretty. When they get their antlers back in the fall, they'll be much more impressive.
Buffalo and elk are common sights, but here's a wolf walking away from his lunch (I'm sparing you the picture of a bloody buffalo carcass, freshly killed that morning.)
Looking cool while everyone watched. As you can tell by the random picture taking finger, I was taking appropriate precautions by always keeping someone else (preferably slower) between myself and the wild animals.
For comparison, here's one of five coyote's we saw.
Old Faithful
Looking right down the valley...
...and looking left at the waterfall.
Don't you wish there were signs like this in life? Maybe then the "rough breaks" wouldn't turn us upside down... wait...
Bet you can't hold this one very long!
Random scenic pictures along the way.
While Eric was taking the good pictures...
...I was busy skipping rocks, one of those great activities that brings back so many fun memories from Lake Placid.
A view from the northern section of the park.
Eric found a photogenic tree...
...while Joe was busy photographing scenery through binoculars at high speeds. No wonder he didn't see...
...the pronghorn deer on his side of the road!
A fluorescent blue bird.
These next few pictures are from Mammoth Hot Springs.
"Liberty Cap" - a dormant hot spring cone.
Just remember that bacteria makes the pretty colors...
Eric in front of the Hot Springs.
Joe in front of the Hot Springs.
With Mother's Day just around the corner, I figured I better send one descent picture home!
At least they don't have to mow their lawn, but it sure would stink to have to pick up after them!
Get your binoculars out, because this grizzly is probably 500 yards away. I'm not sure who spots these guys. (Clicking on the picture will help a little.)
While we were playing in the river, this grizzly was playing by the road. By the time we got there, he was headed away.
A black bear up close.
Now we're looking forward to the rest of the park and Grand Teton National Park opening up in a few weeks and we'll be back for more! Do you think my new tent will hold back the bears?
Until next time, this is your open invitation! Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joe, great blog you got here. I'm loving all the photographs. It really give me a picture of what these areas are like (ie: Yellowstone). Gosh I miss the west...

    -LT

    ReplyDelete